The PC build guide: How to build a computer from scratch
PC build guide: Getting started
If you have never assembled a computer yourself from scratch it can seem like a pretty daunting task, but in the end if you choose to take on a project such as building your own computer it is pretty satisfying to say to friends, “I built that.” The PC build guide is geared toward a tech enthusiast that already has a basic understanding of computers and wants to learn more about what is going on inside of this mysterious box. Thousands of people build their own computers every year. You would be surprised how easy it is to build a computer, all you really need is an understanding of what each part does, where it goes, and access to simple hand tools.
PC Build Guide: Why would you build a Computer when you can buy one?
This a good question, why would you waste the time and effort to put together a computer yourself when you could just go to a store and buy one, already put together? The short answer is customization. When you build a computer yourself you get to choose each part that you will be putting into your PC, and you can pick each part and determine which part is going to be a good fit for you. When manufacturers buy components for their computers they are buying from large manufactures and use cheap components for their parts to keep costs down. Why would a computer company want your computer to last 10 years? I’m not saying that big PC manufacturers are out to get people, all I am saying is that they are using cheaper parts to build their components than if you were to go out and buy the parts yourself.
When you buy your own parts to put your computer together you can pick each individual part, and that way you know that the parts you are buying are going to be reliable. You can take control of what parts you have in your computer instead of letting someone else pick them out for you. There are hundreds of reviews on computer parts that you can look up online. Two of the big sites out there currently for computer parts are Newegg.com and Amazon.com. Each site has user reviews from people have purchased the computer part and how it is working out for them.
Now with that said if you are planning on building a computer on a very strict budget you are probably going to be better off just buying your computer from a PC manufacturer. The parts that you buy on your own are going to better in quality but also a bit more in price usually. If you are building a computer and you do not have a monitor plan on spending at least $530 for the basic budget PC with no frills, no video card, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and a monitor. These computer components should last you longer than other mass produced computer manufactures though.
PC Build Guide: Why should I build my own computer?
Some of you are probably asking so why would I want to build a computer myself then?
- It’s about accomplishing building something from the ground up, a
- When you build a computer by yourself for yourself you can build it exactly how you want it. You think you need 10 terabytes of hard drive storage space? Go for it. When you build a computer yourself you choose what parts go into your computer, and you are free to customize it how you see fit.
- If you try hard enough to find good deals on computer parts, it is possible to build a computer that will be cheaper than buying one from a manufacturer. The key here is cutting costs on features that you do not need. When you buy a computer from a store you may be paying for features that you do not want or need.
- When you build a computer yourself you only pay for things that you want in your computer and that gives you the user a lot more options to build a computer that is better suited for you and what your needs are. The PC build guide will show you step by step how to do this.
- When you get done with building your computer you will have a better knowledge of what is going on in your system and can save money troubleshooting future computer problems yourself because you will know how to fix any issues that happen or know where to begin looking.
- With the knowledge to build and fix computers you will save money by not having to take your computer into the shop for repairs.
- Building your own computer can become an enjoyable hobby, many people that end up with careers in the IT field start by building their own computers. The PC build guide can show you you how to turn your hobby into a career.
PC Build Guide: Where should I start building my computer?
Start by reading the getting started building a computer section to learn what all you will need to get started.
PC Build Guide: Hardware Reviews
Here are a few sites that post regular hardware reviews. It would be wise to check them out and use them to research your computer parts before buying them.
PC Build Guide: The best gaming CPU’s
You should also check out my article on the best gaming CPU’s and which one you should chose for your computer. I outline both Intel and AMD CPU lines and go over which CPU would be best for you based on your budget. You can check out the article here, best gaming CPU’s.